Embry-Riddle Prescott’s OctoberWest homecoming celebration promises to be bigger and better than ever this year, featuring an air show, Jet Dragster demonstration, career expo, alumni golf tournament, veterans 5K race and a cross-country meet.
Topping the list of week-long activities is Wings Out West, a free, private air show for alumni, students, faculty, staff and their guests that will include a performance by Embry-Riddle’s own aerobatic daredevil, Prescott alumna Melissa Pemberton.
“Our staff, students and alumni are excited to welcome Melissa back to campus as the headliner for Wings Out West,” said Dr. Frank Ayers, Chancellor at Embry-Riddle Prescott.
Military and commercial aircraft will be on hand, as well as Embry-Riddle’s Jet Dragster.
Special events scheduled for OctoberWest 2014 include:
Thursday, Oct. 2
- Industry/Career Expo: Embry-Riddle graduates and current students can explore co-op and internship opportunities with some of the industry’s top employers from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Activity Center on campus.
- “Eagle Night” Networking Event: Alumni, faculty and staff can meet and mingle with graduating seniors from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Hassayampa Inn in Prescott.
Friday, Oct. 3
- Industry/Career Expo: Company interviews from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the campus library.
- 25th Annual Alumni Golf Tournament: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. atTalking Rock Ranch Golf Club.
- Alumni Reception and Awards Dinner: 6-9 p.m. in the Student Union Hangar.
- Official Opening Ceremony: Features a Flyover and Jet Dragster demonstration as well as free food and activities, starting at 5 p.m. near the AFROTC/North parking lots.
- Hypnotist: Back by popular demand, Bruce McDonald will demonstrate the entertaining power of hypnosis at 8 p.m. in the Activity Center.
Saturday, Oct. 4
- Veterans 5K: 8 a.m. at the soccer field.
- EAA Pancake Breakfast: 8-10 a.m. at the Flight Line at Love Field Municipal Airport.
- Cross-Country Meet: 9 a.m. to noon at the softball field.
- Wings Out West Air Show: This complimentary, private air show just for the Embry-Riddle community and guests will be held from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Flight Line at Love Field Municipal Airport, followed by a meet-and-greet with the performers in the hangar. Featured performers:
- Melissa Pemberton: The Embry-Riddle Prescott alumna is known for her high-performance aerobatic display in an Edge 540 as well as wingsuit skydiving, flag jumps and more. Coached by the likes of Wayne Handley and Michael Goulian, in 2006-2007 Pemberton was the youngest female ever named to the U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic team. In addition, she was a Stars of Tomorrow performer. For more information, go to www.sportsgal.com.
- Will Allen: Known as “The Flying Tenor,” Allen has made a name for himself with a high-energy performance singing the National Anthem from his airplane in flight. In addition to the National Anthem Show, Allen recently debuted a new show titled “Rock-n-Roll Airshow Man.” For more information, go to www.willallenairshows.com.
- Craig “Brut” Teft: Retired U.S. Air Force Col. Teft, an Embry-Riddle Worldwide alumnus, will bring his “Brute Force Air Show” to Wings Out West, performing in his Chinese Nanchang fighter. Teft has more than 30 years and 7,500 hours of experience to his credit and has competed in aerobatics since 1988. For more information, go to www.absoluteaerobatics.com.
- Blue & Gold Bash: Food, music, games and a Texas Hold ‘Em tournament will kick off at 4 p.m. in the Student Union Hangar.
- Fireworks: 8:30 p.m. at the lower fields. [ home ]